Pay Grade: 11 Non-Exempt 17.55 – 21.93 / hour Title: HR/Legal Assistant
I. Assigned Duties and Tasks:
The HR/Legal Assistant will perform administrative tasks and services to support effective and efficient operations of the County’s human resource department and the County
HR aspect overview (60%): The position is responsible for professional level work in the administration of human resources including recruitment, compensation and benefits. Coordinates recruitment and selection of vacant positions and assists with writing/updating job descriptions. Evaluates and processes Workers Compensation claims and Employee Benefit changes. Reviews and complies with personnel policies and Union Contracts. Provides benefit program research, advisor for employees and Benefits recipients in regards to questions and programs.
Legal aspect overview (40%): this position will assist attorney(s) by providing clerical and research support services including document preparation and review; interviewing clients and witnesses; research, investigations, and fact checking; and trial preparation.
All duties below are essential functions unless otherwise indicated. Duties of the position are not all inclusive and subject to change.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date human resource files, records, and documentation.
- Submits status change forms to the Commission for approval.
- Assists with job descriptions and setting pay grades.
- Assists with posting new jobs, setting up interviews, setting pay rates and making job offers.
- Sets up new hire information in the Accounting system, retirement system and health system. Works with Accounting to validate new hire data.
- Answers frequently asked questions from applicants and employees relative to standard policies, benefits, hiring processes, etc.; refers more complex questions to appropriate senior-level HR contractors/staff or management.
- Refers employee complaints or grievances to appropriate senior-level HR contractors/staff or management.
- Maintains the integrity and confidentiality of human resource files and records.
- Performs periodic audits of HR files and records to ensure that all required documents are collected and filed appropriately.
- Provides clerical support to the HR function and County Attorney Department.
- Assists with payroll functions including validating payroll and answering employee questions.
- Acts as a liaison between the organization and external benefits providers and vendors, which may include health, disability, and retirement plan providers.
- Conducts or assists Department Heads with new hire orientation.
- Assists with planning and execution of special events such as benefits enrollment, organization-wide meetings, etc.
- Meets with attorneys, clients, and other professionals to discuss assigned cases or projects.
- Drafts legal documents including routine pleadings and motions, affidavits, and interrogatories; files motions and pleadings according to judicial procedures.
- Researches and analyzes statutes, regulations, legal articles, judicial decisions, and other legal sources; provides written analysis to attorneys.
- Interviews clients and witnesses and prepares summaries of their statements.
- Prepares, organizes, stores, and retrieves case files, which may include evidence, exhibits, depositions, pleadings, exhibits, and other items.
- Assists attorneys with trial preparation, which may include attending trials and hearings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- II. Required Skills/Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Proficient with or the ability to quickly learn payroll management, human resource information system (HRIS), and similar computer applications.
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree in related field preferred.
- Prior related office experience required.
- Legal office experience required.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.