Work Unit: Health-Nursing
Supervisor: Nursing Supervisor
Pay Grade: 16 Salary $23.72 - $29.66 Title: School Nurse
Non-Exempt 20 hours/week - .50 FTE
Position overview: For 20 hours a week this position will act as the Shield’s Valley School Nurse (travel time paid for from Livingston, County vehicle available for use, gas covered). This individual will promote health maintenance to the Shields Valley School District through facilitating screenings, assessments and immunization clinics, creating individual education plans for students with special needs, referring families in need to local services, and providing simple classroom health related lessons.
All duties below are essential functions unless otherwise indicated. Duties of the position are not all inclusive and subject to change
A. SCHOOL NURSING
1. Review for compliance all students’ immunization statuses with Montana Immunization Standards. Provides follow up to students who are missing immunizations. Offers in-school immunization clinics throughout the year.
2. Participates in the school team to create individual education plan for students with varying health needs. Provides education to teachers and staff in relation to special health care needs and medication.
3. Perform various screenings (vision, hearing, dental, height/weight, nutritional, developmental) and facilitate follow up with providers as needed.
4. Provide health education and resources to students, faculty, families (parents) and the Shield’s Valley Community.
5. Completes required documentation for programs by recording and keeping records on individual students/clients. Complete and submit Montana Annual Immunization Status Report to DPHHS yearly for school. Complete and submit monthly nursing reports, time sheets and travel logs according to designated deadlines.
6. Monitors students’ school absences, facilitates reporting of same to health department weekly, reports incidence of reportable infectious diseases and performs follow-up with necessary referral for treatment as needed.
7. Keep current in knowledge of community health school nursing; attend continuing education opportunities as available and resources allow.
1. Responsible for small immunization inventory, including the state’s Vaccines For Children program. Logs inventory as directed by State assuring compliance and accuracy.
2. Administers Hepatitis B vaccinations to adult school employees in accordance with the school district’s Blood borne Pathogen Policy. Conducts Blood borne Pathogen continuing education yearly for school personnel.
3. May be asked to assist with flu or other immunization clinics throughout Park County as time allows.
D. OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
Performs other duties as assigned by Health Director. This includes special projects and a variety of other functions as needed. This is a multi-faceted job that may require many different hats worn in a day. Ability to work independently while understanding the importance and value of collaboration is a must.
This work requires knowledge in simple pediatric physical assessment, nursing diagnosis and nursing process, immunization schedules, and asthma medication and physiology. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to relate with others a must.
Defensive driving in all road conditions. Ability to work successfully with other professionals.
Must be familiar with medical terminology, medical and legal guidelines. Must be able to operate
a computer, have skills in word processing, data entry and specialized programs as necessary. Must be able to operate fax, copier and cell phone.
Education and Experience
in school nursing or Public Health would be most helpful.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Montana State Board of Nursing License – in good standing.
Current valid Montana Driver’s License