Work Unit: Refuse Department - Collections
Pay Grade: 10 ($16.58-$24.88) Title: Equipment Operator
Non-Exempt Full time - 5 days per week
Supervisor: Refuse Foreman
II. ASSIGNED DUTIES AND TASKS
Position overview: This position is responsible for the operation of heavy equipment for the Park County Refuse Department. This position includes collection of refuse using roll off trucks and front load refuse trucks. Maintenance of collection sites and equipment is required on a regular basis.
All duties below are essential functions unless otherwise indicated. Duties of the position are not all inclusive and subject to change.
- A. Equipment Operator:
- To collect refuse from collection sites using heavy equipment in a safe and efficient manner. To maintain the equipment with care such as, greasing machinery, checking fluid levels, and scheduling work with mechanic for repairs. Includes keeping accurate maintenance records.
- To maintain collection sites for the safe use of Park County citizens. This may include picking up blown trash, mowing and trimming grass, and maintaining driving surfaces.
- To operate backhoe to compact collection containers.
- To operate and maintain trash compactors.
- To issue citations for illegal dumping.
- To work with other county departments such as weed, junk vehicles, road and law enforcement regarding landfill.
- B. Other Duties as assigned.
Must have ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Must have ability to read and interpret documents such as, but not limited to, safety rules, blue prints, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and/or other documents. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively and courteously to the public. Must have ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Education and experience
Must have one to two years’ related experience and/or training on heavy equipment, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience working with the public is preferred.
Certificates, licenses, registrations:
Commercial Driver’s License Class B with the ability to obtain a Class A license within six months of hire.